If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (763) 295-1161

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Let Professionals Clean Fire-Damaged Electronics

1/7/2021 (Permalink)

Background of an electronic damaged by fire with the LOGO of SERVPRO How does smoke damage electronics?

Let Professionals Clean Fire-Damaged Electronics

After a fire in your home or business, pretty much everything inside and many of the things you have outside will be affected and damaged in some way. When it comes to your electronics, you need to be very careful:

  • Smoke and soot contain chemicals that cause the delicate workings of computers, appliances, and other electronics to corrode.
  • Smoke causes electronics to overheat. This happens when smoke reaches the wiring and other components inside your devices. A coating develops that insulates parts, and eventually, the smoke's magnetic charge leads to overheating.
  • As firefighters combat flames, they use water and fire-retardant products. When these substances get into devices, further damage could occur.

As the fire cleanup process begins, remember that fire-affected electronics could pose a safety hazard for you and those in your family. It's best to turn this part of the cleanup effort over to professionals.

Protect Your Home and Devices Before a Fire Happens
You can take proactive steps to protect the information on your computer. You can use an external backup program that saves to the cloud, so you have a second copy of the important files and photos on your hard drive. You can also use an external hard drive that you keep in a second location.
Another way to protect your appliances from fire is to use outlets, cords, and extension cords appropriately. By not overloading the outlets, you decrease the risk of fire. If you're not sure that your outlets are suitable for the load of many devices, contact an electrician or fire professional for advice.

Allow Professionals To Lead the Cleanup Efforts
There are many steps you can take to save money after a home fire, but cleaning and using your television, stereo, computer, and other devices can cause more harm than has already occurred. It's best to allow fire and smoke damage restoration technicians to take care of electronics. When fire cleanup efforts are supervised by technicians, you can be confident in the results.

Give us a call today (763)295-1161

Other News

View Recent Posts